Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Final Paper

For my final project I would like to explore human trafficking and the ways in which women are exploited and victims to these crimes. I would like to concentrate more towards human trafficking in the U.S. and to determine how big of a problem this is in our country. I am hoping to find a lot of information to support my theory that human trafficking is a large problem in the United States because I know that it is a problem on the international level. To find information to use as support in my paper I will use the Miami and Eastern Kentucky University’s library website to find scholarly peer reviewed journal articles. I know that if I can find several articles supporting my theory that I will have enough evidence to clearly display that human trafficking is an issue in the United States.
My purpose is to decide whether or not human trafficking is an issue that needs to be dealt with in the United States. I want to get the facts about this issue and to decide if it is a major problem or not and then to spread the word to others so that they will also be aware. I think that this is an issue that I usually do not think about as happening in this country I usually think of third world countries as the places where this type of crime is committed. I really want to do more research to find out more about this topic. My genre will be a research paper to point out the facts and determine if there is an issue that should be dealt with.
Through doing a quick search I found one peer reviewed journal article that I thought was particularly interesting. Smuggling and Trafficking in Human Beings: All Roads Lead to America by Sheldon Zhange. This piece wasn’t exactly what I was looking for because it does not focus exactly on Americans as the victims of human traffickers but more the victims of human trafficking coming to America. This article also talks about how human smuggling has become a factor to enable and accelerate illegal immigration which has become a major issue particularly in the local government recently.
I think that with some more digging I can find more about these issues and how they relate to the people in the United States and I am satisfied with the articles that I have found so far. I am excited to do more research to see what more I can turn up on this topic.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous, Braden. And, be sure to check out Kevin Bales' website on Modern Day Slavery. He discusses slavery in the states in some of his articles, short video clips, and documentaries (all available online): http://www.freetheslaves.net/
    I anticipate learning a lot from this project. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete